Tuesday, September 21, 2010

My Travels to Greece... Even Though I've Never Actually Been

There are a million places I want to visit thanks to the bazillions of movies I've watched over the years. But one place really gets me excited.

This place makes me want to visit beaches, peruse ancient sites and shop in outdoor markets, and ultimately walk around with a brown paper bag filled with fresh fruit, flowers and the obligatory loaf of crusty bread protruding out the top. I want to sit on baclonies and sip wine, eat cheese and watch a sunset on the ocean. I want to have a beautiful caramel toned man whisper sweet nothings to me while zipping me through cobblestone streets and alleyways on a vespa. I want to do all these things... in Greece.

The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants 1 & 2
(2005/2008)


Guilty pleasure. Don't judge. I just love me a good tween flick. Alexis Bledel plays Lena, a young artist travelling to Greece for the summer to visit family. While there, Lena meets Costas, a strapping young Greek lad who inevitably steals her heart.


Awwww. Who cares. The backdrop is what gets me. Ok, maybe Costas does a little too. Point being, when I watch these movies, I want to literally jump through the screen to be where they are. Watch this clip and I'm sure you'll feel the same way!


Mamma Mia! (2008)


Have we mentioned that we are HUGE rewatchers? I've run this one into the ground and nearly broken my DVD player. I know every line, every dance move, everything about this movie. I just can't get enough. Yes, the combination of Meryl, Baranski and Colin Firth mixed with an amazing soundtrack got me mighty excitey. But Greece stole my heart.

Thanks to this gem, not only did I want to hop on a plane and get my arse there immediately, I also had the urge to break into choreographed dance and sing Dancing Queen at the top of my lungs.

Here is a great scene between Sky and Sophie on the beach professing their hot and steamy love for one another. What a beach.. and Sky = Yummmm.


My Life in Ruins (2009)


Oh how I looooove cheese! And Nia Vardalos! So, ok, she went there AGAIN. 'I'm Greek and I make funny jokey jokes about being Greek'. Whatevs. This movie was a light, silly escape.

Georgia (Vardalos) is a tour guide working for Pangloss Tours in Greece. She takes 'group B', a bunch of wacky characters, all over Greece to teach them about history and culture. It's full of shenanigans and has a sweet little love story woven in, but what I loved about it was that we got to see modern and ancient Greece. Fantastic.

I give you the Tempting Trailer. If you enjoy the fromage and wanna escape to Greece, just watch!


Honourable Mentions:
Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001)
Zorba the Greek (1964)
Troy (2004)

No comments: