Monday, October 4, 2010

I Love it When They Talk to Me!

Ang and I were chitty-chatting the other night while watching Wayne's World (1992). The topic of our conversation? How much we love it when the characters talk to us! This style of narration is a tricky one that MUST fit the tone of the movie.

So, of course, I had to immediatly compile a list of my favie flicks that pull off this style! In no particular order... Here we go!

1. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)


Classic. Who hasn't seen this 80s gem? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Ahem.. excuse me.

Ferris is one of the very first Charismatic Characters I ever encountered in film. He could talk his way out of anything. What I wouldn't give to spend a day with him. In a way though, I can. I just pop in this personal favourite and hang with Ferris for a while!



2. Sol Goode (2001)


Now some (probably most) of you haven't heard of this movie. I discovered this comedy on the shelf when I worked at a video store and have rewatched it at least once a year since.

Sol is a ladies man. They love him, then get to know him, then hate him. Everyone knows Sol. This is a story about Sol gettin' his shiz together and realizing what's important in life.

Sol tells his own story, and takes us along with him as he makes it through shanay-nays. It's fantastic. Watch it.

*Embedding Disabled*  DAMNIT! Go here for a taste!

3. Wayne's World (1992)


Wayne's World, party time, EXCELLENT! Ahhhh.. This movie is what started the idea for this post, and oh what a movie it is! Rewatching this movie reminded me just how many ridiculously hilarious moments there were!

Wayne is the perfect character to interact with the audience. He's your 'average Joe' who could potentially live on your street and be filming his own cable access show as you're reading this. I would kill to have Wayne has a neighbour.


4. Two Can Play That Game (2001)


Oooh Shanté Smith... you are a sassy, strong woman who ain't takin' shit from no man! The best part about having Shanté take us through the story is the lessons thrown in. She is the Queen of mind games when it comes to men. She is wise and has a lot of knowledge to pass on.

I learned a lot from this movie. I know exactly how to get what I want now. No question. Although, I have to wonder why I'm still single... Shanté you biatch! I'm just realizing how awful your advice was.



4 comments:

quizshowbob said...

I love how the Skipper from Gilligan's Island used to look into the camera all the time.

Christina Harper said...

I'll admit, I've actually seen Sol Goode at least once. Can't say I loved it, but it had its moments.

The Masked Critic said...

Bluto from Animal House!

He looks directly at the camera and works his eyebrows before looking back through the window.

Emily Louise Church said...

Hahaha NO STAIRWAY...DENIED!