Monday, April 18, 2011

Cinema Obsessed Chats with James Cullen Bressack about My Pure Joy, an Independent Horror Comedy

James on set of My Pure Joy
James Cullen Bressack is in the final stages of putting together his feature film, My Pure Joy, a horror comedy. Gawd, we love those two genres together! The trailers are mighty intriguing, and we recently had a chat with James about the project.

Tell us a little about your upcoming horror flick and how you came up with the idea.

The idea originally came from when I had written 5 pages of a screenplay, with characters I didn't like, and decided to kill them off. I had to think to myself, "what is a good idea for a killer?" I didn't want to do a standard slasher movie, because it's been done so many times. So, I decided to introduce the audience to the killer in the beginning and let them get to know him through out the film. So, that's what this movie is about; getting to know a serial killer.


Does it take a lot to gross you out?

I think, with the movies that I watch, it's almost impossible to gross me out. I spent months before writing this script researching the most disgusting and gory films ever made.


Who have been some of your biggest influences in the horror genre?

To name a few: Takashi Miike, Eli Roth, George Romero, Alfred Hitchcock, Frank Henenlotter, Stuart Gordon and Rob Zombie.


What did you use as blood/guts in the film?

We actually used real guts, a real tongue and eyeball all donated from a butcher shop. As for the blood, it was your basic mix of carrow, food coloring, cherry and chocolate syrup and cinnamon. On screen it looked terrifying, but I must admit it tasted pretty good.


What scares you most?

The Lollipop Guild. Have you seen The Wizard of Oz?!


Do you plan on crossing into other film genres in your career?

Yes, I do.  However, I'm already working on another horror movie and opened up Psykik Junky Pictures to be the vehicle for MY films as well as the horror films of the other people I will be producing in the future.  Although I plan on moving into other genres for my own films, I will ONLY be producing horror movies with my business partner, Jarret Cohen.


What is your all-time favie horror flick?

I don't really know how to answer that. I have over 2000 DVDs, most of which are horror. I lean more towards the 80's ultra-gore movies. Although I do have a "Hostle" elite hunting tattoo on my chest.


Who would you most like to work with in the industry?

Quinten Tarintino or Eli Roth, plain and simple but the full list of people I'd aspire to work with is vast.


What are some of the biggest challenges you have faced as an independent filmmaker?

Trying to read the waffle iron. Yes, I actually said that. But, in all seriousness, in the beginning it was very difficult finding funding. Luckily, Jarret Cohen saw something in my script and in me, and decided to fund the movie. Still, working on a budget we worked is no walk in the park.


What are your aspirations for My Pure Joy?

I hope that it's very well received in the festival circuit. It's already started opening doors for me in the industry, and I hope it does the same for everyone else involved in the film. I hope everybody reading this goes to see it and has a positive experience. But remember, this film is not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach.

Thank you so much for taking the time to interview me at Cinema Obsessed. If you want to hear more of my movie ramblings, follow me on Twitter @JamesCullenB and "Like" the fan page for the film on Facebook: click here!



No comments: