Friday, May 20, 2011

Why I Want To Live In the 1920s (based solely on films I've seen)

The 1920s are always described as roaring, and I'll believe it. At least that's what movies have shown me. Although prohibition was in, the culture of the time was oh-so-appealing, and when a movie comes out that's set in that period, I get all giggly and excitey for the visual feast I know I'm gonna get.

1) Cars

The Newton Boys (1998) was a treat for the eyes in every 1920s way, but I especially loved the vehicular component. They were bank robbers after all, and had plenty of getaway cars. Plus, as they started makin' moulah, their cars got nicer and nicer.

I can't pretend to know anything about makes and models of classic cars, but if anyone has any knowledge of the subject, I'd love to hear it. As for me, I just think they're purrrtyy.


2) Hats and Fashion and Aesthetics

Hats were huge back then. Men didn't leave the house without one, and women got to experiment with all kinds 'a crazy head accessories.

The Aviator (2004), set largely in the 20s, showed us some great dudes and dames in headwear, some lovely hairstyles that I've unsuccessfully tried to recreate on myself, and some unforgettable outfits. Men were dapper, and the ladies were classy.


3) Vaudeville

Why did I put this as number 3? This shoulda been my top reason.

Entertainment just ain't what it used to be. Chicago (2002) brought me back to a more simple time (when I wasn't alive yet) when being entertained meant seeing it in front of your own eyes, seeing people with real talent.

Oh, the costumes! The routines! The sequins! The sultry stares! The stockings! *sigh*

Do you have a favourite decade you love seeing on film?


1 comment:

Abe Lucas said...

I love most every decade of film--before hitting a glass brick wall at 1980--but I'm partial to the early '70s.

One: I was born in 1971, so seeing the world as it existed (if only in cinema) when I came screaming into this sad brown world is something that interests me a lot.

Two: Urban blight, economic decline, fuel crisis; heck, all the fun stuff we have today, except I get to wear a pair of ill-fitting burgundy corduroy pants that go "vroop" with each psychologically painful and embarrassing step. I'd also have a Fu Manchu moustache, like Elliot Gould's in Busting.

Three: Musical underscore that's alternately funky, dissonant, and downright atonal (think Lalo Schifrin's Dirty Harry). I'm talking about the sound of the '70s that existed before the Disco-drenched, Lucas-Spielberg escapist pap of the decade's more famous second half, which is only because that's the half my generation remembers.