Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"The Last Exorcism" Lied. Here's "The Rite"


Anthony Hopkins doesn't tend to pick crappy movies, so I'll give this newest exorcism flick a chance.

The Rite centers on a disillusioned young American who studied to become a priest. In the Vatican, he learns to carry out exorcisms and finds his faith through encounters with demons.[Wikipedia]

Hopkins plays the teacher of the ritual (aka the old priest), Alice Braga plays a nasty biatch in need of an exorcism, and Colin O'Donoghue plays the American learning the ritual (aka the young priest). Typical.

I think this one could be amazing. I have no doubt there will be some interesting background info on exorcisms, documented cases, classroom/lecture scenes, and some Terrific Training. My bet is they'll put a dummy on a mechanical bull while the exo-students fling holy water at it. Ok that probably won't happen, but they might train to duck and dodge projectile vomit. They might also practice yo momma jokes to insult the demon.

Ok, that's a stretch, but I'm sure our young priest, in the middle of his crisis of faith, will see some effed up shit (eg spinning heads) that will restore his beliefs. Or he'll die while performing an exorcism. A sacrifice for the cause, etc etc. You can't surprise me anymore, Hollywood.


The film is actually based on a 2009 novel called The Rite: The Making of a Modern Day Exorcist, which is based on the author's real-life experience while taking part in an exorcism seminar in Rome. Whoa. Crazy. I just recently read The Exorcist, so I'm immediately heading to Chapters to buy this one before the movie comes out.

Update: I bought the book. The cashier was like "Hey did you know they're making a movie about this?" and I was all "Lady, you don't know who you're dealing with..."


1 comment:

Melanie's Randomness said...

haha about the book. Hmmm your right about Hopkins so it might be good & scary!!!!!