Wednesday, January 12, 2011

John Carpenter's "The Ward"


A thriller centered on an institutionalized young woman who becomes terrorized by a ghost. [IMDB]

We love a good scary movie, so we were jazzafrazzed when we saw this write-up. Simple. To the point. The Ward, coming January 21st, reminds me of Gothika, in which Halle Berry's charcter was being scared shitless from inside a mental hospital. Don't get me wrong, I'll see this concept again, since it's a damn scary setting for a ghost movie. Lots of hallways, dark corners, scary equipment, and well - crazy people. And with delusional crazy people around, the audience never quite knows what's real, and what's a hallucination. And sometimes reality is worse than anything in your mind. See that? I should write taglines for a living.

As this poster says, John Carpenter is the master of shock, and he has some major street cred with horror movies. I'm sure Wes Craven would fight for the title of "master of shock", but hey, there's room for everyone in the "make me shit my pants with fear" movie world. I love you all equally.

The movie stars Amber Heard (the girlfriend in Pineapple Express, and the hot neighbour, 406, from Zombieland) as our institutionalized main character named Kristen, and Danielle Panabaker (trust me, you don't know her). But big names are not what's important. Only the story and the scares really matter.

I love how in movies the hospitals always have faulty lighting, creepy nurses, eerie shower/bathing scenes, and dripping dank basements.
Watch the trailer and let me know if you think you'll be scared by this one.



1 comment:

Jen said...

Ok, that will creep me out for weeks lol.
and yes I do know who Danielle Panabaker is :P. She was in one of my favourite tv movies, mom at sixteen lol.