Friday, January 28, 2011

Scintillating Scene: Ferris Bueller's Day Off


Adam, our Cin-Ob Supreme, wanted something from FBDO (1986). And we're not just gonna give him something... we're gonna give him IT. THE THING. THE BE ALL END ALL, BEST OF THE B.. oops caps lock.

This scene is like... ughh... best scene ever. Wasn't that eloquent of me? Eff you, I'm trying here. It's the scene that you kinda forget is coming, but when you see the parade you go "Yesssssss...." deep inside. Or sometimes out loud, if you're like me...

I had/have a giant crush on Matt-Brod in this movie. It's the character I love, really. He's charming, funny, unusually articulate and silver-tongued (thanks synonym.com) for a high school kid. And oh boy, did my pre-teen hormones ever go mental when he got up there and sang this tune. In fact, I was weirdly attracted to him during his warm-up number, Danke Schoen. Is that weird? I don't care. I wanted to be Ferris Bueller, and I wanted to be with Ferris Bueller. I wanted to sniff and snuggle up to that vest, but I also wanted to wear that vest. Very few characters accomplish this sensation in viewers, and that's why, my friends, Ferris will go down in history.



Interesting tid-bit for ya - a lot of the dancing extras were just there for the parade (which was actually happening that day in Chicago) and John Hughes was just like "look at that jigging construction worker! Film that!" So now you can watch and know deep in your heart that what you're seeing is genuine. Mostly.


3 comments:

Melanie's Randomness said...

When I went to Chicago I had only one request! See the street where Ferris did this! I also got to see the high school as a bonus!! ROCKIN movie!! =)

Melanie's Randomness

Adam said...

I did not achieve the position of Cin-Ob Supreme again, by having some snot-nosed punk leave MY cheese out in the wind!

Awesome scene, & I had a feeling you'd pick this one. As an added bonus, I get one of my fave Beatles tracks too! Thanx!

southord said...

Great movie. I want to term the movie as one of the great cult movie.
southord