Thursday, September 9, 2010

Pirates 4 is Filming!

Here we have a tiny blurry Ian McShane as Blackbeard in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides! Johnny Depp is back, obviously, as Captain Jack Sparrow, Geoffrey Rush as Barbossa, and Penelope Cruz will be appearing as Angelica! Gemma Ward is also credited as a Mermaid... so that should be interesting!

Jack Sparrow and Barbossa embark on a quest to find the elusive fountain of youth, only to discover that Blackbeard and his daughter are after it too. [IMDB]

So, I haven't really decided how I feel about this franchise going on and on. I loved the first, enjoyed the second, and hummed and hawed through the third installment. I just couldn't get into it like I did for Curse of the Black Pearl. Chantale expressed her frustration with this series to me recently, saying "I just don't get it! These people travel all over the world with all these shenanigans and fights and yet they ALWAYS seem to meet up again!" I get what you're saying, Chanty. The ocean is a big place and it's true - no matter what happens, the same characters are always crossing paths. Sometimes the action is so epic it becomes a little hard to follow. I'm sure someone is gonna tell us how simple it all really is, but our ADD made it tricky.

And I hate to say it... but Jack Sparrow is getting annoying. The fountain of youth concept is enough to get me to watch it, as is the concept of a mermaid appearance, but really, I think this franchise has lost its magic touch.

What do you think?


6 comments:

Christina Harper said...

I actually completely agree with you guys. However, I still love Jack Sparrow. God knows why.

KeLLy aNN said...

LOVEJOY!!
ok, that said, I agree.
They should have stopped after the second one. I didn't even see the third one.

Brittany said...

I loved the first movie, hated the second, but thought third was really good. I am worried about this next movie because it's not even the same director as the previous three. I agree that there are series that just go one for to long and I hope that this movie doesn't ruin the other three. Although, I'm worried, I'm sill excited to see it because of I love Johnny Depp.

JRL said...

Oh no. Should have stopped at one.

Sigh.. but how i love Mr. Depp.

The Masked Critic said...

Wait...Johnny Depp is in Pirates of the Caribbean?!?

Just kidding, The Masked Critic knew that, just wanted to comment.

KeLLy aNN said...

I just found out they are filming
Breaking Dawn in my home city.
My friend was like, where have you been? "}